Friday, March 14, 2008

P-N-E-U-M-O-N-I-A

**(feel free to sing out the title to the Gwen Stefani song Hollabeck Girl...B-A-N-A-N-A-S..)

I honestly think I may have to eat my words and declare my father-in-law the most clever of all men? We could honestly be the "sickest people" in the world!
We found out last night that dearest G has pneumonia. Her fever was running low grade all week and she just didn't seem to be getting better so we finally took her into the Dr. and sure enough that is what she diagnosed her with. She is now on a Z pack and will hopefully be perking up in the next few days. I am also going to be on a Z pack soon. I called into my OBGYN and described the pain and misery I am going through and she decided that a Z pack could clear up some of what ails me.

A quick note on illness and motherhood....first of all it never fails that when I am sick and really down and out Bri doesn't seem to think I am doing to poorly. I hear him on the phone telling people "well she might be sick" as I'm lying in bed hacking up a lung with a raging fever and 400 used kleenex piled around me. But when he is sick.....OH MY GOSH HAVE AN AMBULANCE STANDING BY!!!!! And a husband will NEVER know what is like to be so so so so sick with two sick children and to have someone say to him as he comes to the doorway of the sickbed with briefcase in hand a perky bounce in his step "Okay well I'll see around 6:00 p.m.!"
The last time he was sick with the girls I was running around care taking all three of them, while he slept the sleep of the dead on the couch. In between I was barfing in anything available to hold it and still trying to run the house. I asked him "now how would it be right now if I said "okay I'll see you after work, good luck today!" but he just glared at me and rolled over to go back to sleep!

I'm not complaining about the mom job, I love the mom job and I know the reason that I am the mom and he is the dad is because he could never be the mom!! He would have checked himself into an insane asylum years ago. BUT a little pretend sympathy goes A LOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNG way!! Just try to turn the corners of your mouth down a little, or say "I'm sorry you are feeling so lousy" or even lie and say "I will do my best to get home early and try and help." ANYTHING but what you usually do!!

Okay, that is enough of a rant for today, or at least for the 12:00 o'clock hour :)
Happy Friday

7 comments:

The Peach.... said...

OK...yep, I totally agree with you. I think when we moms get sick, the husband should just take the day off and let us lie in bed all day. It's only fair! The last time Tyler was sick, he came home from work and went down to our guest bed (in our nice dark room) and slept ALL day. MUST BE NICE! When I was pregnant and throwing up every day, I did not nap ONCE. Not once. Life went on. But when he's sick, no way. Cancel everything. They will never ever ever know what we go through. We do not get days off, even when we need it.
Get well soon Susan!

mushroommeadows said...

:(

I'm really, really, really sorry to hear that you're feeling terrible and that your kids are sick too. Please get better!

:(

{Le Petit Poulet} said...

YES!!!! Power to Adrienne for that comment!! I was so frustrated yesterday morning I told him as he was trotting off to work "Next time you're sick I'm totally bailing for the WHOLE DAY!" Men are allowed to wallow but women have about 24 hours and then are expected to just pop up and be happy again!

{Le Petit Poulet} said...

Thanks for the get well wishes! Hopefully by Monday we'll be back on track....*crosses fingers and toes*

Joanne said...

I just found your blog through The Black Apple. Love your photography!

But so sorry your little one is sick. My 9 month old son and I are fighting through a cold right now. Snot everywhere.

Check out this hilarious clip from a British tv show. It's about "man colds".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz6DktXFvg4

Callisters said...

I have to agree 100% about our lovely husbands! I know we all love them dearly, but come on I thought they were supposed to be tough! Yesterday I was not feeling well and Carson started to tease me about it, I told him until he has had babies, nursed, had c-section, etc he can not say one word to me! Will this sick season ever be over for you?! Get well and good luck!

{Le Petit Poulet} said...

Joanne thanks for the post! And Courtney if you were right here I'd give you a high five!! :)