Saturday, May 24, 2008

A Little Randomness to Fill the Day!

I thought I would just toss in some random things that make me happy as I am counting down the days waiting for Rex's arrival.
RANDOM #1
This wonderful purse from Marieliz's Creations shop on Etsy.

My Sassy Brassy friend Meg went to the quilt market as a special correspondant and while that sounds sort of stuffy and grandmaish it is anything but. These hip designers of fabric amaze me...I don't think I really ever thought about fabric as being designed? I'm not sure where I thought the pictures/ideas/colors on the fabric came from but I surely never thought someone designed it!
Some of the most amazing designers were there with their wares which Meg covers extensively on her blog.
Through reading her updates I saw cute Patti from Modkidboutique (a fantastic childrens clothing designer). She was toting this purse in a picture, her mother had designed it out of Amy Butler fabric and Patti had a pic of herself with Amy Butler holding this fantastic bag!

Anyway long story short I emailed her mom and BOOM, it was listed that night and I snatched on up for myself! It is in production now and should be coming in the next week or two.
People seriously.....Etsy.....awesome!!!

RANDOM #2
80's music.
When you're feeling down get out the 80's music and go crazy!! I've been enjoying some flashbacks via my IPOD and ITUNES.
*B52's
How I love them! And if you're feeling like REALLY going back in time go to YouTube and watch one of their videos to go with it!

*THE THOMPSON TWINS
Was the lead singer gorgeous....yes he was. Did he marry the crazy looking he/she looking girl in the group.....yes he did....does that still confuse me after all these years....yes it does.
"If You Were Here" still as yummy today as the day it was released even though I still can't decipher half of the lyrics.

*Men At Work
At this point in life I am so beyond the Dr. Heckyl and Mr. Jive. I have rediscovered songs by them that I didn't know or appreciate as an 80's child. "Overkill" Gotta have it!

*Duran Duran
How many times did I take one of their centerfolds from TigerBeat and trick my mom with the ol' "Okay which ones are girls and which ones are boys." Falling down with laughter at the expression on her face when I had to inform her "Nope! They're all boys!!"
Put on "Reflex" and be sure to do the Reflex arms like the backup singers!

*REM
I {heart} you Michael Stipe! Go in your wayback machine with REM....back before "Stand". Hit the golden oldies that made them what they are. Put on "Superman" and sing it at the top of your lungs and at somepoint you will believe you are Superman!

*The Culture Club
Karma Chameleon....need I say more?

*General Public

So many great memories with your album spinning around on my record player in the background. I am pretty sure my friend Merri and I played "Tenderness" so many times in one sitting that the record started to melt.
(And you can't list General Public without mentioning English Beat!)

*The Cure

Robert Smith and that beautiful voice....those angsty lyrics that sometimes make you happy and sometimes make you confused as to what he is even saying! Hit the back catalog of music as well as the "newer" stuff. "Just Like Heaven" is still one of my "happy songs" and has been since highschool. It comes on and I just smile.
Inner Beauty is Overrated (Ally) just went to a Cure concert, you can see her slideshow of it on her blog. She was trying to rock the goth look but looked way to good to be goth!! She needed to paint her face white and at least smear her perfect MAC cosmetics around to make it seem as if she'd been crying in her bedroom over a lost love in Junior High! ;)

*Depeche Mode

Perhaps the only good memory of my brother....that he and his bizarre friends (with names like Gandalf, Duck etc) were obsessed with this group so after they would depart his cluttered bedroom for parts unknown I would hustle downstairs and gather up all of their Depeche Mode albums to listen to while they were gone!
They have gone through so many metamorphisis as a group....you have to get a little from each phase. The super synth "Just Can't Get Enough" happiness for me! To the brooding songs from "Black Celebration"...."Question of Lust"....too beautiful for words!
My brothers friend Duck was pretty sure he was Martin Gore from the band. And when I think back now man he really did look just like him. Same hair, build, etc. He (Duck not Martin Gore) was the one who really took my brother on the spiral of despair as a teen, it was all downhill from there. So I didn't feel so bad taking Ducks import Depece Mode albums and hiding them in the my closet so that he would never see them again mwahahahahahaah.

Well will stop here for today on music or else the list might go on and on and on. Would love to hear your 80's faves!)

RANDOM #3
SLURPEES

I seriously wondering if there is crack or something in Slurpees? I have now been addicted to them since childhood. In highschool when all of my "cool" friends were getting their Ginormous SUPER BIG GULPS filled with Coke....I proudly filled my Slurpee cup up with a smile and enjoyed my day! Bri and the kids are on the way home with one for me as we speak.....I'm getting all tingly!!

That's all the randomness I can muster for a Saturday!

11 comments:

Blanck said...

Okay seriously if you have time to write all of that you have time to CALL me back!!!

Me loves the 80's. Duran Duran baby. They just don't make music like they used to. sigh.....

Unknown said...

Do you know what that white shit does to your pores? Besides, there were PLENTY of goth-posers there (one of which fell down the stairs in her big old boots and fishnets - it was the greatest moment of my life).

Robert Smith is amazing, but Dave Gahan is hands-down the best showman. The last time DM came through, I managed to do severe bodily harm to get kick-ass seats. Two ER visits and second-row tix later, I found myself at the end of a catwalk with Dave and Martin singing "Goodnight Lovers" to me (I think it was to me, I may have blacked out) - I'm pretty sure I had a spiritual experience, and needed a napkin. Ahhhhhhhh

{Le Petit Poulet} said...

Touche' Blancky!! I will be calling you back I swear. And two thumbs up for the shout out to Duran Duran.

Ally....I am laughing so hard right now! The image of the goth poser in fishnets falling down the stairs. Bri will attest to the fact that I have an unhealthy love of people randomly falling down.

Good thing I wasn't drinking anything while I read the part about Dave and Martin singing to you (or maybe you just blacked out) or there would have been spattered Slurpee all over my computer screen. If it wasn't Dave and Martin it at least had to be Dave and my brothers friend Duck and that's worth at least half a spiritual experience *snicker*

Unknown said...

It was a night to remember, to be sure...when Dave grabbed himself singing about his "little one" during Question of Time, I screamed so hard, I actually thought I had abs for a second.

Also, we must explore why you didn't at least have some kind of illicit sexual encounter with this Duck person, and if you did, why it has not been accurately described herein. Questionable morals and his destructive influence aside - he looked like MARTIN? Are you hiding something? Is Duck living in your basement? Can I get his number?

Mmmmmm, slurpee and snickers

Annemarie said...

I feel like I've been on a time machine back to high school. "I want somebody to share, share the rest of my life..." I actually had that sung to me in college by the lead singer of one of the colleges coolest boy bands. whatever.

Annemarie said...

And tell "Blank" to start a blog already.

{Le Petit Poulet} said...

Ally...still laughing...thought you had abs! The mere thought of Duck anywhere near me was so repulsive it gives me the shudders to this day! Most likely it was due to the fact that I was sure he would slaughter us all in our sleep with the sharp edge of a broken 12" Depeche Mode single! That, and of course the idea that he was my brothers friend and my brother was my arch enemy!! Of course looking back now I think hmmm Duck was quite forward for the times and should be given props for his style and whatnot....he can't be blamed for my milktoast brother following along like a little sheep in the herd!
I swear to you he looked so much like him I look at pictures now and think WHOA....Perhaps we need to dig him up for you so that you can have a flashback fantasy and relive the tingly concerts of your youth!!

{Le Petit Poulet} said...

AnneMarie that song ROCKED!!! I can just picture you swooning while being sung to by Mr. College Hottie!! *sigh* Here's to the good old days!!
And by the way you do know you're going to get in trouble for leaving out the "C" in Blanck! HA HA HA HA. I keep telling Blancky to get her butt in gear but as of yet she has refrained from the blogging world.

Georgia said...

I *heart* this post :) It really makes me happy:)

I responded to your quote on my blog about books and stuff :) Actually, I responded to yours AND to someone else's, but they are both about books that are good...

xoxo

Nessa said...

Uh, I didn't realize there were any 80's bands other than my boys Erasure! ;P

Megan/Brassy Apple said...

Hey YOU!!!!

There has been quite the buzz about that purse! I can't believe you were lucky enough to snatch one! Lots of envious other ladies out there! ;)

tee hee hee