Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I'm Alive.....ALLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE

I did it!!
Thank you so much for all of the well wishes and great tips on preparation for the dreaded test. We were going to try for Saturday morning but after my barf-o-rama on Friday with lack of food and going to bed early I woke up Saturday morning at 5:00 a.m. starving with the baby kicking and squirming all around and I knew there was no way I would be able to keep fasting.
So.........Saturday I spent preparing myself mentally and physically for for Sunday morning. I made sure to eat small meals/snacks throughout the day then at 6:00 p.m. I had steak and a baked potato for dinner for some protein. I ate again at 8:30 ish and then 10:30 ish had one last snack before the fast began. I stayed up until 11:15 and then hit the sack with all sort of inner empowerment going on and prayers for more inner empowerment! When I woke up throughout the night for a few pit stops I felt the strength and I knew I was going to do it no matter what!
The alarm went off at 6:00 a.m. I got right up hit the shower munched on ice chips and drank water, we were at the hospital by 7:00 a.m. and after a momentary glitch where Bri noticed on the doctors orders that it said Sunday the lab opened at 8:00 a.m. (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!) it ended up okay. He went in and talked to them and they said it was okay they would take me!
The first hour was okay, I just have to say that I am so sickeningly thankful for my Bri. He seriously is the only person I could think of that I could spend four hours sitting with in a lab waiting room while they siphened my blood and made me drink sugar water! We laughed and talked and laughed some more. By the second hour I started to feel sick and slightly woozy, when I went in for the next blood draw I tried to be cheerful to the sweet gal taking my blood but I could feel the tears welling up as I teetered on the verge of bawling! She did reiterate what Ad had mentioned....you throw up you start over.....and for some reason going into the third hour I reached down deep for the power again and pulled it out! I was glad that I was warned of this ahead of time so that I was prepared to have to dig down deep for some strength!
It was very quiet at the lab for most of the morning, a few babies here and there which we found out later were jaundice babies that had to be tested everyday since birth. The third hour quite a few of these parents came in with their little 2,3,4,5 day olds. Such nice people, we all chatted and laughed about parenthood and those first days home with your first baby!! Wow, can't say I would go back to those first few days/weeks/months with G again! She was HARD.
This wonderful company really made the last part of the test sail by and four hours later and one last blood draw and we were out of there! I warned Bri that I was pretty positive I was going to be vomitting in the parking lot....but as long as I was done with the test WHO CARED!!!!
The rest of Sunday I was so tired and felt like crap and Monday I did too, throwing up and feeling like my belly had 30 babies crammed in there. I don't know if that was the after effects of the test or not? Today seems to be better , at least for now (mwahahahahaha)I'm just taking it easy and waiting for my results.
The first blood test I was 100 (pre sugar drink) which was within normal range, an hour after the drink I shot up to 212 (179 is the highest they want you to bed) what that means I don't know? Then the third test I was down to 150 (the high they wanted you was 152) and I don't know the last number as we took off like a shot when we were done!
So it will be interesting to see how this all calculates out and what I'll need to do from here on out.

Thanks again everybody!!
The tips on asking about a room to lie down were great! As well as tips on taking ice chips to chew on as well as a big tank of water. And I have to say whether you are a prayer person or not it really helped to give me strength and to ask the powers that be for some power of my own to get in the zone to do this!!

****UPDATE****
So in order to have to undergo treatment for gestational diabetes you have to have failed two out of four of the blood tests (i.e. not be within the range given). My last blood level was 68 but because that second one shot up so high they are reviewing it. The nurse thinks that everything is AOK but they will let me know.

5 comments:

Nessa said...

Oh, sweetie. You are amazing. You're strength and determination and love are awe-inspiring and humbling. This baby is so lucky to have such a mum.

Ok, enough of the cheese. How about that salsa? Martini to celebrate? :P

{Le Petit Poulet} said...

Soul Sistah!!
Um HELLO that salsa is awe-inspiring all by itself. I believe it was gone in about 10 min. WOO HOO. Thank you for dropping it off and for being such an amazing friend :)

The Peach.... said...

Ok, you are the BOMB! You go girl! I'm so proud of you! You did it! I know it sucked. But you did it. I hope it all turns out ok!

Annemarie said...

Oh man! I'm sooooo glad that is over for you! Way to go on keeping everything down...good luck! I hope everything turns out good!

freshandvintage said...

Susan! Hey ladyyyyyyyyyyy--how the heck are you? I didn't even know you were expecting. Congratulations. I hope things go well for you in spite of the darn glucose issues. You are such a fantastic gal. It's nice to catch up with you here on your blog. Lots of love, Eva