Wednesday, April 2, 2008

SPC Self Portrait Challenge "Absurd" Week 1


"Absurdities are all around us - part of our lives, part of our selves.
Absurd means: foolish, freaky, idiotic, inane, incongruous, nonsensical, irrational, loony, screwy, and ludicrous
a situation in which life seems irrational and meaningless
This is your assignment - to show us how you have embraced the absurdities in your life…"


When I read this months challenge for SPC it made me think. I wasn't sure that I could wrap my brain around how to do a self portrait with all of these things in mind. I couldn't really think of something in my world that was outright absurd?! Then this morning as I got ready to pick up my girls from school I found myself mumbling aloud "This is absolutely absurd that it is April and I am wearing a turtleneck sweater!" As soon as the words spilled out of my mouth I had a lightbulb moment! There are absurdities all around us that we just adapt to! Grabbing my camera as I left I snapped this picture. The sad bare, bud free branches....the bleak white winter sky....raindrops that can't be seen but are felt and the turtleneck sweater that I embrace on such a day whether the calendar says it is spring or not!

No comments: