Thursday, April 24, 2008

REVENGE

As I sat at the kitchen table this weekend, messing with my camera, G came walking out and sat across from me with a very interesting look on her face.
Me: "What's up?"
G: "Oh I'm just sitting here waiting for my revenge."
Me: "Ummmmmmmmmmmmm" Looking around to make sure there are witnesses in case this revenge has to do with me! "So how is that going for you?"
G: "Fine." Big smile. "I'm just going to sit here and keep waiting!"
Me: "Do you know what revenge is?"
G: "I don't know? I'll go and look it up."

(Yes that is correct, I LOVE looking things up that I don't know! I always have my Funk & Wagnalls Dictionary close at hand for any spelling/question issues. If Daddy seems like he is telling up a story about Franklin Roosevelt that might quite not be true I rush into the front room and return with my GIANT Encyclopedia where we proceed to attempt to prove him wrong!


G returns shortly with her Barbie My First Dictionary which I am pretty sure does not contain the sweet and peppy quote for "Revenge" but I decide to let her look for it just in case!
She scans through the "R"'s quite perplexed that this book would not tell her what revenge means! So the two of us retire downstairs to grab the Funk & Wagnalls and look up our word.


Bri stood by listening to this lesson, probably wondering how I was going to explain this to our six year old. The definition was very intense but we were able to relate it to the fact that her sister had just socked her in the face that very day.
Me: Revenge would mean if she socks you in the eye you turn around and sock her back (inflict punishment, injury or loss in return for) is that the best thing to do?
G: (intently listening) No, that's not good at all.
And then suddenly I remember the "do unto others" quote! Well we tie that all into revenge and I realize BY GEORGE SHE'S GOT IT!! I just gave an awesome lesson in revenge.
G walks out quite pleased that she now knows what this means and the best part is Bri looking at me and saying "You know what, you're a really good mom!"
But of course in the back of my mind I know...had I given this same lesson to Little One it would have ended quite differently....most likely she would have left to go and sock her sister in the eye because WOW revenge sounds WAAAAAAAY better than the rest of this crap!

1 comment:

Annemarie said...

hee hee hee hee!!!! That is a FABULOUS story!! I especially LOVE the contemplative look on her face...classic! We've had the "venge" talk at our house, too...didn't end too great...